September 2, 2006

Spiced Pumpkin Soup with Cumin and Cilantro

Well, the move is complete. We said au revoir to Paris and have comfortably installed ourselves in the lovely guest room at Mom and Pop's house. I've happily been able to relax and not do much cooking myself yet, but instead indulge in a pedicure and some of the best gin & tonics around. But, I do have a wonderful recipe to share with you that I've been saving just for such a cooking hiatus.

This recipe is a serious secret weapon! It couldn't be easier and tastes surprisingly rich and flavorful. One of my favorites for nights that are seriously short on time, I like to pair this soup with half a quesadilla or a simple sandwich. Try one of these quesadilla recipes for some ideas. Black beans might also make a nice addition to this soup. I hope you can make this some night soon!

Spiced Pumpkin Soup with Cumin and Cilantro
(an epicurious recipe)

2 ½ cups chicken broth
½ cup heavy cream or half & half (can use less...)
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp ground cumin
½ to ¾ tsp chili powder
½ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
2-3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
grated cheddar cheese, optional

Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the pumpkin, brown sugar and ground spices. Simmer over medium low heat for 5-10 minutes so that it reduces and thickens slightly. Turn off the heat and stir in the cream and most of the cilantro. Serve topped with additional cilantro leaves and grated cheddar, if you desire.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Obviously I have to try this! Perhaps even this weekend — it sounds like the perfect comfort food for someone who has moved recently. Or for someone welcoming a cooler season. . .

Good luck on your transition!

Anonymous said...

This looks and sounds wonderful! It would be perfect for Meeta's From My Rasoi (FMR) event. You might want to look at
http://whatsforlunchhoney.blogspot.com/2006/09/fmr-event-in-september.html
Glad your settled for the moment, enjoy a rest and gin & tonics!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan,
I'm happy to hear that you're all moved safely. I'm sure the transition will be a bit bittersweet, but I wish you much luck in whatever life in the States brings you.

And, the soup sounds absolutely divine. It makes me long for a real fall, which is still months away in my corner of the globe. Oh well.

Chez Megane said...

Mimi - Thanks for visiting! I hope you enjoy the soup!

Tanna - Thanks for your lovely words and for the heads up for that event! How cool - sounds like a perfect fit.

Jennifer - Thank you so much - we are settled and re-discovering a lot of our favorite things back home!

Willa - How great! I love pumpkin soup in all forms! The French make the best pureed soups! Let me know how you like the recipe!