July 7, 2006

Quesadillas!


I have a tendency to make some dishes so often that it causes my husband to utter, "hon...I don't really like _____," which I understand to mean, "I don't really like ____ anymore because we've been eating it every week for 2 years." These dishes are then mentally filed under Megan's lunch recipes so that I can still enjoy them without forcing them on him.

Quesadillas have sadly fallen into this category but I still happily make them for myself whenever I can.
What can I say? Quesadillas are perfect for leftovers. I'll throw just about anything in there! They are so damn easy and delicious. Here are two of my favorite versions.

The first combines spicy chorizo, red peppers, onions and sweet corn. The second I've been making for years. I crave this combo of grilled chicken, black beans, diced avocado (yes, inside the quesadilla!), a bit of red onion and chipotle salsa. Enjoy!

Chorizo, Corn and Red Pepper Quesadillas

1/2 tsp olive oil
4 flour tortillas
chorizo, sliced thinly
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp corn, canned or frozen
1/2 cup cheddar, emmenthal, or other cheeses of your choice
3 Tbsp salsa, plus more on the side
1/3 cup red or black beans, optional
crème fraîche or sour cream, on the side

In a large skillet, pour in a nickel-sized drop of olive oil and take one flour tortilla and swish it around in the oil until there is a thin layer over the whole surface. Place a second tortilla on it to absorb some of the oil, so you have 2 tortillas with oiled sides. Place one tortilla, oiled side down, in the skillet over medium high heat. Layer the chorizo, onion, bell pepper, cheese, beans and salsa on the tortilla and cover with a second tortilla, pressing down to seal the quesadilla a bit. After 3 minutes or so, lift up the underside of the quesadilla to check if it is golden brown and crisp. When it is, use a large spatula to carefully flip the whole thing over and brown on the other side, about 3-4 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Repeat the process with second quesadilla. Serve with additional salsa and crème fraîche. Serves 2.
Chicken Quesadillas with Black Beans, Avocado, and Red Onion

4 flour tortillas (burrito/fajita size)
1 cooked chicken breast, thinly sliced
1/2 ripe avocado, diced into small pieces
1/3 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 small red onion, finely chopped
3-4 Tbsp. salsa (I love a smoky-flavored chipotle salsa!)
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar or monterey jack

In a large skillet, pour in a nickel-sized drop of olive oil and take one flour tortilla and swish it around in the oil until there is a thin layer over the whole surface. Place a second tortilla on it to absorb some of the oil, so you have 2 tortillas with oiled sides. Place one tortilla, oiled side down, in the skillet over medium high heat. Layer 1/2 of the chicken, beans, avocado, onion, salsa and cheese on the tortilla and cover with a second tortilla, pressing down to seal the quesadilla a bit. After 3 minutes or so, lift up the underside of the quesadilla to check if it is golden brown and crisp. When it is, use a large spatula to carefully flip the whole thing over and brown on the other side, about 3-4 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Repeat the process with second quesadilla. Serve with additional salsa and crème fraîche. I find that even when I don't have any leftover chicken, the black beans and avocado alone make a yummy vegetarian quesadilla. Serves 2.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm right with you on this one. They are perfect for leftovers and the variety is endless. How can he get tired of them? What a silly boy.
I just put up a variety yesterday on my blog.
Yours look really wonderful and yes, avocado inside is good!

Anonymous said...

Great ... now I want quesadillas for lunch!

I love them ... especially on the grill!

Great recipe.

Anonymous said...

Oh, me too--I will absolutely put anything between two tortillas and fry it up. Both of these versions look great!

Tea said...

Your husband may be missing out, but you can make quesadillas for me any time! Though I must say, I've never heard of anyone going to Paris for the quesadillas. Perhaps we can start the trend:-)

Chez Megane said...

Tanna - That's what I said...how can anyone get sick of quesadillas? =)

Jennifer and Ivonne - Thanks!

Tea - I crave mexican food in Paris, so perhaps I do make them more than is normal! =) Come on over!