July 14, 2006

Zucchini and Tomato Quiche

I guess I've been in a Provencal mood lately. I was craving another easy way to eat up some vegetables. Since I feel like I've finally mastered making quiche without needing a recipe, this was a snap to put together. Summer zucchini and tomatoes pair so well together! Plus, with all the tart inspiration going on over at Cream Puffs in Venice, I've had them on my mind!

Quiche aux Courgettes et Tomates:
Zucchini and Tomato Quiche

2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced

1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

2 eggs

1/3 cup creme fraiche
3/4 cup milk or cream (approx)

salt and pepper

2/3 cup grated Cantal cheese
(use any cheese you like, but Cantal was great and different)

1 puff pastry crust (pâte feuillet
é)
or normal pâte brisée is fine, too.


Saute the zucchini and bell pepper in a little olive oil over medium high heat. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat when they are just slightly softened and set aside to cool.

In a mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, creme fraiche and milk. Add up to 1 cup milk or until you feel that it's enough to fill the quiche. Season with salt and pepper.


Unroll your puff pastry onto your pie plate. Prick the surface with a fork, especially the extra pastry hanging over the sides. Use several paper towels to soak up any excess water from the zucchini and then layer them in the bottom of the quiche. Sprinkle the basil over the zucchini and top with the red peppers. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top. Slice the tomatoes very thinly, again using paper towels to dry them a bit, and arrange the tomatoes in one layer over the quiche.

Fold the extra pastry in towards the center so that it just rests on the filling. I think this is the prettiest presentation; it holds together so nicely. (Isn't that fancy fluted edge always getting too brown, cracking and falling off anyway? This folded over edge is actually eaten!) Bake in preheated 200 degree C (400 degree F) oven for about 35 minutes.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, you're right. I should get out my tart pans for a quiche and your zucchini & tomato might be just the thing.
Isn't it great to get where your so comfortable that a dish can come together just by gathering ideas. Happy Day!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my dear Megan!

Now that's what I call a tart! It looks heavenly and features my favourite ... tomato ... and my second favourite ... zucchini.

Bravissima!

Unknown said...

Mmmmm...this reminds me of a fritatta thatI like to make!

Tea said...

That is a lovely photo! Makes me hungry...

Banlieue Blog said...

Megan.....that is SO beautiful. I'm really glad you posted the recipe. With this hot weather a Quiche and salad with a glass of wine (of course!) works for me!

Sumitha said...

Oh this is so good,at first glance i mistook it for a pizza,have to try it with the pastry sheet!

Chez Megane said...

Claire - Ooh! A zucchini and tomato frittata sounds great! Just a bit healthier than a tart... =) Thanks for stopping by!

Melissa - Thanks! It is the perfect summer meal, isn't it? Actually, I'll eat it in any season!

Sumitha Shibu - I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

HereBeDragons said...

Sounds perfect! I invited a friend for dinner impromptu and I have enough of these ingredients on hand that I won't have to go shopping! Looks like a delicious pairing with white wine (and the creme brulee I already made).