February 21, 2007

Brussels Sprouts Rule...Seriously.

Every once in a while I cook something that makes my husband go crazy. This almost never involves vegetables. When I announced that I was making brussels sprouts, he was definitely not on board. But, I proved him wrong with this one.


The best part of this recipe is the combination of interesting textures and flavors. There is a lot going on in this recipe and, honestly, what difference does the vegetable make when there are bacon and pine nuts involved? The sprouts are sliced so that they separate into little bits of fringe. Sautéed lightly so they retain their texture, they are utterly delicious.
These are by no means my own creation. If you do some searching, there are many variations for these “hashed” brussels sprouts. I was tempted by a recipe with lemon and parmesan, but ultimately, the pine nuts sitting in the fridge were calling. I think the bacon is great, but it could easily be left out to save a few calories without much loss of flavor.

Now he wants them twice a week. ‘Nough said.

Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Pine Nuts and Bacon
(adapted from allrecipes.com)

1 pound brussels sprouts
2 slices center cut bacon or 1/4 cup sliced pancetta
1 tsp olive oil
2 green onions, sliced
Salt
Pepper
¼ cup pine nuts

Shred the brussels sprouts carefully with a mandolin, or just slice with a knife.
Toast the pine nuts in a dry skillet until just barely golden. Remove to a plate. They will continue to toast later when combined with the sprouts.

Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium high heat. Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside. Keep the bacon fat in the pan and add a teaspoon of olive oil, if needed. Add the shredded brussel sprouts to the hot pan and stir frequently. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the green onions and pine nuts. Sauté until tender but not soggy, about 5 minutes. Crumble the bacon and mix into the brussel sprouts. Serves 4.

6 comments:

Tea said...

I had a brussels sprout conversion recently as well (it too included bacon!). Good stuff.

Is that you playing with new blogger? (I like the colors) How did you get your left column so wide? I've been trying to figure it out myself...

Chez Megane said...

Hi Tea! Why yes, I'm tinkering around with it. You have to choose a different template - the Minima stretch or lefty, I think it's called. Unfortunately, you can't simply adjust the sizes of sections from the layout page. Glad you like it! I'm going to live with it for a while and decide...

And I hope you're doing well with your necessary eating changes - I wish I could send you those cookies! Good luck with everything, though, I hope you'll find success and feel better soon!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

These will be terrific on my table then since my husband really loves Brussel sprouts!
Looks so tasty.

Betty Carlson said...

This looks great! I had never even imagined shredding Brussel sprouts! With blogs, everything becomes possible!

Chez Megane said...

Betty C. - Thanks! I'd heard about this recipe quite awhile before I got around to trying it, and now I don't know why I waited so long!

Tea said...

Thanks Megan--for the layout advice and the well wishes.