September 4, 2006

Five Things to Eat Before You Die...

219491784_c43310eb01.jpg

Top 5...top 5. What are the top 5 foods I've eaten in my life? I feel like I eat pretty well most of the time (and you know I enjoy my food!) so this one was tough for me. If you're a reader of The Traveler's Lunchbox (and if you aren't...why not?!?!) you have seen the lists of great ideas on the five things to eat before you die. I was stewing about what mine would be, but left it to simmer while I went about packing and moving over an ocean.


Then Tanna tagged me and it got my mind spinning again with ideas about my favorite foods. This type of list is tough for me. Not being one to ever want to write anything in stone, I had to spin the idea around to be the top 5 things I've had that will let me die a happy woman! It's my nature to remember the classics over the innovators, so I guess nostalgia took over a bit. Plus, isn't location pretty important in this?

1. A cold Gin & Tonic each summer, sitting on the deck of the lake house (which sits secluded on its own island) in Canada. (McGregor Bay area, to be more precise.) True relaxation does not exist for me except this.

2. Sharing un éclair au chocolat with your sweetie in Paris. Perhaps in the Palais Royal gardens or Parc Monceau?

3. Bœuf Bourguignon, ideally from Chez René in the 5eme. They are bit chilly with the welcome, but the food will more than make up for it. (14, blvd Saint Germain, 5e)

4. A homemade Italian family-style feast at an agriturismo in Faenza, Italy. Each evening, an amazing array of raviolis filled with simple cheese and spinach, or speck and radicchio were followed by huge servings of grilled meats and potatoes before we even got to salad or dessert! If only I had known how important the word basta! would be...

5. Sharing a meal of Raclette in the French Alps. A half-moon wheel of raclette about 2 feet wide is placed on a contraption with a burner fitted just over the cut side of the cheese. Fill your plate with mixed charcuterie, boiled potatoes, cornichons and pearl onions. Wait. A few minutes later, slide the cheese wheel out from under the burner and scrape off the bubbling cheese onto your plate. Devour with joy!

Psst! Don't tell!
5.1. A relaxing quiche and salad lunch on the terrace of L'Ete en Pente Douce, a cafe just near the Sacre Coeur in the 18th arr. Don't forget the glass of wine! (23, rue Muller)

There are so many more, but I'll stop there. What are your top 5?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I knew I would love your list.
Psst...I'm adding that last to my list for later this month!!!!Hooray.
Thanks so much.

Lisa said...

Oh my God! All of those things are things I would also just die for. Wait -- have to eat them before I die . . . what a fabulous list.

Cyndi said...

Megan, raclette was on my list, too! Wasn't this meme fun to do?!

Chez Megane said...

Tanna - I hope you have the best time when you visit! You'll discover so many little places yourself; it's how we each get to have our own Paris...le sigh!

Lisa - I know! We have a lot of eating to do with this meme floating around!

Cyndi - It was a lot of fun, although kinda hard! Raclette, fondue, tartiflette...all in the Alps! Then there's tarte flambee in Alsace, crepes in Brittany... Never ending!