September 6, 2006

Salmon, 2 Ways!

We were served a wonderful dinner on our 2nd wedding anniversary last Sunday. We're often treated to fantastic Sunday dinners with Paul's family and it has become one of the best parts about coming back to visit. After all, the first time I ever met his family was one Sunday evening 8 years ago.

I remember there being Tater Tots for dinner, among other things, although I'm not sure Paul's Mom would remember it that way. I say that because she is a magnificent cook and the idea of her serving tater tots is so far removed from her normally elegant dinners, it is almost laughable. This dinner last Sunday, however, did not include frozen potatoes, but instead this elegant salmon, mashed red-skinned potatoes, a spinach salad decked out with tomatoes from the garden, kalamata olives and fresh mozzarella, and perfectly seasoned pencil-thin asparagus spears. It was SO good. Isn't there something fantastic about pairing salmon and asparagus?

Paul still had his very rare filet mignon since he's like that, but the rest of us made quick work of devouring this salmon. Paul's mom enjoys it because, "you can't taste the salmon," but I enjoy the taste of salmon and I still think this is great! It's also really simple and healthful.

Roasted Salmon with Macadamia Nut Crust


3 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
1/4 cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
1 full salmon fillet, about 2 1/2 pounds, skin on and any bones removed
1-2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 C). Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet and add the macadamia nuts. Cook 2-3 minutes until lightly browned. Remove them from the heat.

Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in a roasting pan. (Place in the oven for a few minutes). Place the salmon filet in the roasting pan and season with salt and pepper. Spread the toasted nuts over the salmon. Bake for 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of your fish.

Transfer the salmon to a serving platter. Sprinkle the cilantro and fresh lime juice over the salmon before serving.

Two days later, my Mom served us this grilled salmon. It's her staple salmon recipe and it's just as delicious as more complex preparations. I'm so happy to finally have the recipe because I always enjoy it so much. I don't have a picture, but it looks great; I promise! There isn't really a dominant flavor, but a nice balance between the soy sauce, basil, lemon and parmesan. This is also nice because the skin on the fish stays on the pan while the filet can be lifted off easily for serving.

Obviously, our moms have perfected the easy-to-fix yet flavorful salmon recipes! Try this one soon!

Grilled Salmon with Herbed Lemon Parmesan Crust

1 pound salmon fillets
2 Tbsp lemon juice

2 Tbsp red wine vinegar

1 tsp grated lemon zest

2 tsp dried or fresh basil

1 tsp garlic powder

2 tsp soy sauce
3-4 Tbsp freshly grated parmesan
salt and pepper


Combine the lemon juice, zest, vinegar, basil, garlic powder and soy sauce in a small cup or bowl. Place the salmon fillets (can be in individual fillets or one big piece...) on a foil lined roasting dish. Season lightly with salt and pepper.

Pour the lemon soy sauce evenly over the salmon and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Put the pan on a medium-high grill and cover. Cook 15-20 minutes, or less for smaller fillets. Alternately, roast in a high heat oven (425 degrees F) for 15-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of your salmon.

For an expert description of how to perfectly cook fish, look here at Beyond Salmon for this great explanation, and much more info about cooking all types of fish!

I'm sending these recipes over to Kalyn's Kitchen for Weekend Herb Blogging - Go check out all the other
herbaceous recipes this Sunday!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm, do I have to pick just one? Could I just have half of both please?
Gosh, the crust on that top photo is stunning! Never pick steak over salmon, I mean who would do that? (Your man, my man - I swear it's a defective gene; wait maybe it's just so we get the salmon!
Enjoy this time, it sounds divine!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I love salmon and am always excited by new recipes. Perhaps when Paul comes to town I'll make him a Salmon Casserole, tee hee.

Kalyn Denny said...

Double WOW. I absolutely love the sound of both of these. I'm so glad you sent this for WHB so I would be able to remember to add this post to my del.icio.us cookbook!

Anonymous said...

Yum, yum, and yum.

Chez Megane said...

Tanna - Don't choose; make both! You won't be sorry! And with our guys, we'll always have leftovers!

McEmily - Hope you like it, you saucy woman. Paul might not like it, but you can make me a casserole anytime. =)

Kalyn - I'm so happy you visited! Let me know how you like the recipes!

Jennifer - I agree! =)

Gattina Cheung said...

I like eating salmon with olive, now with asparagus, sound very nice! The two salmon recipes are absolutely wonderful!