August 20, 2006

Ma Salade Mixte...

Here's a quick meal idea for those times when you need to go to the supermarket, but it's pouring down rain outside and you just know you won't be able to venture out until tomorrow. As this happens quite often in Paris, I need plenty of ideas like this one! Making a big salad with whatever we have lying around works well for a fulfilling lunch. There are a millions versions to be made, but this combo is often what we have on hand at the end of the week. Sometimes I combine this arugula salad with this goat cheese salad for a filling main course.

Here was my spur of the moment version yesterday:

Mixed Arugula Salad with Ham and Cheese Toasts

2-3 cups arugula leaves
handful green beans, trimmed
1 tomato, sliced
1/2 avocado, sliced
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
salt and pepper
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 Tbsp olive oil
shavings of parmesan

1-2 tsp whole grain or dijon mustard
2 slices ham
1/3 cup grated gruyère cheese
4 slices of baguette or other bread

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and drop in the green beans. Cook 5-7 minutes, or until tender but not mushy. Drain the green beans and rinse with cold water (or use an ice bath) and set them aside.

Whisk together the vinegar, mustard and oil, or make whatever dressing you desire. Toss the arugula, tomato, red onion, green beans and avocado together with the dressing. Add chunky shavings of parmesan, if you like.

Spread the mustard on the slices of bread. Top with ham and cheese and set under the broiler for a few minutes to melt the cheese. Serve alongside the salad. Serves 2.

I thought I would send this over to Gabriella, at My Life as a Reluctant Housewife, for her Salad Days event. Though a simple offering, I think this kind of salad fits the bill for an easy meal on a summer day!
Here are a few of my other salad recipes:
Apple and Beet Salad with a Honey Orange Vinaigrette
Asparagus and Haricots Verts Salad
Tuscan Bean Salad
Healthier Chicken Salad
Chicken Taco Salad

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Humm, this salad looks real good...

Anonymous said...

I really love your salad - it looks glorious! One of my favorite things in Paris is the salads!
Very kind of you to say my Fougasse look like the ones you get in Paris. I'll have to try the olives.

G said...

looks perfect. The round up will be up in a few days. Thank you so much for joining us!

Ruth Daniels said...

This is exactly my perfect hot summer meal.