July 28, 2006

A Refreshing Beverage...

Jennifer, over at The Weekly Dish, is compiling a list of favorite refreshing summer drinks. Her only stipulation is that it be liquid and alchoholic; a rule that I was happy to abide by! Since I'm living in Paris, a common drink here is the Kir or Kir Royale. Super easy and delicious, it makes a refreshing aperitif. The kir originates from Bourgogne and is named after the former mayor of Dijon, Félix Kir.
a very cassis-sy kir at Chez Prune on the Canal St. Martin,
usually they are lighter in color!

For a Kir:
Place a few tablespoons of crème de cassis in a small wine glass and fill with a dry white wine. The amount of cassis used depends on your taste, but a good ratio to keep in mind is 1-2 Tbsp for 6 oz. of wine. Since this is a burgundian specialty, use a Bourgogne Aligoté if you want to be true to tradition.

Since it's such a popular drink in France, there are many variations using different liquors. Most of the time when ordering one, you can choose between Cassis, Mûre (blackberry) or Pèche (Peach) liquor. I've also had a variation where a fruit purée was used instead of a liquor.

For a Kir Royale:
Place a few teaspoons of crème de cassis in a champagne flute and fill to the top with champagne or sparkling wine. I do enjoy this version better, but who wouldn't?

For something a little more raw and refreshing, I do enjoy a good Gin & Tonic, which always wins my vote for the easiest and most divine cocktail.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a classic and lovely drink, in such a gorgeous color.

I've added it to my round-up, and plan to enjoy the chardonnay in my fridge exactly this way over the weekend. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes an excellent favorite!